Online dating has become more popular the last several years. People are busy, hate the bar scenes, whatever the case may be, they turn to online dating services to try to find that someone special. Below I’m offering a few tips for using those services.
- Be careful about giving out personal information. I would suggest not using any part of your name as a screen name on these sites. Ditto for using the names of your children (if you have any). Don’t say where you work, where you go to school, what places you hang out at, save all of that stuff for later.
- Setup an email address just for these sites. Hotmail and GMail allow you to create email addresses, use it. Follow the advice above when selecting an email address, keep personal information out of it. Don’t give out a phone number unless you feel highly confident that this person is not a creep.
- If you get a bad vibe about someone, trust your instincts. We like to reason away these type of warnings but us humans are actually pretty good at detecting bad things. Pick up a copy of Gavin de Becker’s book “The Gift of Fear” for further reading on this subject.
- If you decide to meet the person, do so in a very public place. In addition make it during the day if possible Meet for coffee, a simple lunch, somewhere that there are lots of other people around. You might want to consider having a friend stake you out too, never hurts to have someone watching your back.
- Again, trust your instincts. God gave us instincts for a reason, use them.
Just some real basic tips. If you have any questions feel free to ask them.